December 31, 2009

A Year of Favourites!

I am taking a break from unpacking and ending my break here on my beloved blog. It is going to be quite the post, but really, can you have any other type of end of the year post??? I am excited to bring you my favourites of 2009!
Beauty




Okay, I am spilling secrets! I have rarely spoken about this for selfish reasons but here is my number one beauty secret...
You can purchase this palette for only $24 at Urban Outfitters. This past October whilst visiting my father and SGOM (stepgirlfriend other mother) Liz (SGOM) and I took a girls day and hit up the local Anthropologie and Urban Outfitters. When I walked into Urban a magnetic force pulled me towards this 66 well eyeshadow. Liz and I had a cow over the perfect neutrals and bubble gum pop colored shadows. We decided we both must own it! I tell you, love at first dust! My mouth literally dropped when I swiped one of the colors over my eyelids for the first time. This was quickly ensued by an OMG text to Liz. I usually am an Urban Decay junkie and Liz rarely wears anything that is not M.A.C but we both agree this is the cream of the crop (I know, I know, it is hard to imagine anything better than a M.A.C eyeshadow, but, believe me!)
Urban Outfitters line of nail polish ain't too shabby either.
I am currently dying over a mint green color that rivals Chanel's Jade color that has caught the fashion industry in a frenzy.



Earlier this year as I was perusing the aisles of Walmart I had an anxiety attack of excitement (no, I am not speaking of the Elton ice cream incident!) I went to stock up on my Maybelline Mineral Power Foundation and Dream Mousse Bronzer (#10 Glistening Sun) when what do I spy but my long lost favourite brand Hard Candy!!!!! Not only is the line back and better than ever but it is also now being sold at Walmart prices! I know, I cannot stand it either! I leap out of bed every morning with joy at the thought of slathering my face with their primer.Really, who does not want to cover their face in a concoction resembling chocolate mousse? Delightful!I also sing my praises to every single one of their mascaras!
No surprise here, but I am currently having a love affair with bene tint.


Mostly because it smells like roses, which just so happens to be my most favourite scent of all time. It creates the perfect pinched cheek look, AND it makes a flipping fantastic lip color. If this is a little much on your budget, try CoverGirl's Outlast LipStain.
I have yet to try a color I did not like and I have tried about every near one of em!

Eyeliner is a staple in every woman (and yes, some guys) makeup bag. I admit, in High School I was on the thick liner all around the eye bandwagon (yuck! What was I thinking?) and I have tried many a brand in my day. Once I tried Urban Decay 24/7 Glide On pencil, I never looked back!
I love Zero for my top rim and Lucky along my lower rims.
This year Liz also introduced me to Perfect 10 hair care (unfortunately, you will have to go to your hair dresser and have them special order this for you.) This product has single handedly saved my dead bush I was sporting atop my head.
Also, if you are like me and rarely have the time for the luxury of washing your hair, I swear by baby powder as a quick greasy fix.
My favourite fragrance of 2009 was (DUH) Marc Jacobs' Lola.
His decision to use Karlie Kloss for the campaign, probably, helped my decision, just a little bit.

Accessories


I had one resolution this past year - thou shall not buy a new bag. Well, I say resolutions are meant to be broken! I almost made it through the year but then I found this precious gem!

It is a Kimchi Blue Croc Messenger bag but I call it my 'fauxmes' as it bares a small resemblance to an Hermes.



This year I also became obsessed with animal shaped jewelery (preferably cuffs.) I bought this Octopus cuff at Frances Vintage in downtown Phoenix.

This serpent cuff was purchased at Urban Outfitters.
I have collected quite the collection of hats this past year. Basically, if I felt like money was burning a hole in my pocket and there was a fedora in sight - DONE! It was mine! My favourite steal of the year had to be a black bowler hat that I had found at Target for ten bucks!
Many beautiful shoes have found themselves in my closet this year, I cannot quite possible show them all off. Fortunately, it was no contest to pick my favourite of the bunch. In October, as my mother and I were browsing Urban Outfitters Online we both decided I could not go without these shoes.
My mother graciously purchased them for me and I have worn them every chance I have gotten. They are designed by J. Aldridge, who also writes my favourite blog of the year - Sea of Shoes. Let me tell you, never has walking a mile in 4 inch stilettos been more comfortable.
I must say that sunglasses are my absolute favourite accessory. I would gladly give up handbags, jewels, and shoes for sunglasses. The wayfarer is my signature. Come to think of it, I do not own any other style. For the most part of the year these floral pair sat perched upon my face.A few weeks ago, as my friend unpacking new shipment at work, she did the big no no. She walked up to me and handed me these.

She said "you need these" before promptly walking away. Well, if that was not enough she had to walk by once more to tell me they also came in mint. Double whammy. Double trouble.
Housewares

This is more my mothers foray, but, look at this candle.
Buy this candle in Hemlock.
You're welcome.
Fashion

Hands down my favourite trend of the year was the fisherman knit. First came a sweater I found at work. It was a cropped with short sleeves (I promise I tried to find it online, no such luck!) The beauty of this sweater is that I can easily wear it all year long. Love Love Love. It did not stop there, I went to Target for the sole purpose of looking for the perfect fisherman knit thigh highs. Of course, Target being Target carried EXACTLY what I was looking for and at five bucks a pop, well you know...
Well, thigh highs were not enough to full fill my love. I decided I needed the same sock in a thicker ankle version. It took me a while to find but as of three days ago, the quest ended. I am too embarrassed to admit where I found them though. Lucky for you, the search is more than half the fun. Lastly, a tube scarf purchased from Gap (I promise I tried to look for this too!) found it's way under the Christmas tree for me and the World has not seen my neck since!
Denim is arguably the Worlds most beloved material. Who does not wear denim??? Well, it is a well known fact that I do NOT wear pants (but if you must know, if I HAVE to wear pants, you can bet your toosh I am wearing BDG Cigarette Ankle Jean.)
This year I was all about the denim tops!
I am ending this here. I just now decided I am dedicating a whole post to the denim shirt. Maybe with a DIY?
Maybe...

Movies
I rarely had time to sit and watch a movie this past year, but I made time to see these two movies in theatres several times each.

I highly reccomend both of them. I am not going to say anything other than that they are both equally stunning and innovative. These are movies I cannot tell you about, you need to experience them for yourselves.
Music
Besides the usual Jenny Lewis and Death Cab for Cutie on replay, this is what I listened to the most in 2009.



Hands down the best album released in 2009!

Horehound - the Dead Weather

Attack and Release - the Black Keys
Only By the Night - Kings of Leon
New Moon Soundtrack
Ratatat - Ratatat
Monsters of Folk - Monsters of Folk

Midnight Boom - the Kills
Keep On Your Mean Side - the Kills
No Wow - the Kills
Leaves in the River - Sea Wolf
Baby Darling Doll Face Honey - Band of Skulls
Fantasies - Metric
Self-Taught Learner - Lissy Trullie
Manners - Passion Pit
500 Days of Summer Soundtrack
Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix - Phoenix
La Roux - La Roux
Ra Ra Riot - Ra Ra Riot
Mt. St. Helens Vietnam Band - Mt. St. Helens Vietnam Band
LP - Discovery
Youth Novels - Lykke Li
Skeletons - Tiny Masters of Today
The Satanic Satanist - Portugal. the Man
It's Blitz! - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Where the Wild Things Are




Best Moment of 2009


Only one day really stands out from 2009, October 20. This is the day my mother and stepfather took me to see Elton John and Billy Joel in concert for my 20th birthday. That's all.



Bean


For eight years I have been blessed with a ham of a brother, given to me by my mother. This year, courtesy of my father - I was given Bean. I met Bean a week after her birth. She only weighed five pounds and I was very uneasy around her. Finally after two days, I came around and I fed Bean a bottle. This is when I fell in love. I wanted to hold her at all times. I visited once more a week and a half later, not much had changed in her developments but I still enjoyed feeding her. When she was three months old I trekked out to see her and this time I was blessed with a smile. Now at five months, despite crankiness of teething she is still my great Bean! We had bottle time, although this time I held her and she held the bottle. She let me laugh at her faces of disgust for green beans. We took pictures. We played numerous games of peek-a-boo and I never tired of it because each time she laughed and it was worth it. I sang to her. But my absolute favorite memory of her happened yesterday. Before leaving for the airport, I gave Bean her bottle. She lifted her hand to touch my face. Playfully, I bit her hand. She laughed and kept trying to shove her hand in my mouth to bite. This proved to be more interesting than her bottle. As she opened her mouth, I gently laid a finger on her gums - she bit down before laughing. I'm amazed at what Bean can do at only 5 months and I am estatic to see what these years ahead will do for her.
I hope you have a safe and joyous night of festivities!

4 comments:

Decor To Adore said...

Ah, I am so happy to have been apart of a few of your faves.

Bean is truly a cutie patootie.

lizzard72 said...

Good to see I was such and influence this year. :-) And Bean is a favorite of mine as well.

lizzard72 said...

Bean Rocks! So glad to see she has lovely fans.

Linda said...

The Hard Candy brand is intriguing to me and I'll have to check that out - love the packaging!

What a treat ALL of this is - a feast for the eyes and fun to read about. Love it and so glad you're back!!!!! :)